My photo
Melbourne, VIC, Australia

Friday, September 5, 2008

Crazy Days in a Haze

The Black Hole
I've been temporarily out to lunch and laid up in bed with the flu and a bad back... sciatica is suspected. I felt like I was going into a black hole when I took this shot or perhaps it was the effects of my pain medication :)

An assignment done for Learning Photography with Neil Creek.

This photo was Neil's pick of the week. I was quite chuffed and a little excited when I first saw he had picked it as his favourite for the week. I value his opinion and find I am learning so much through his tutorials and challenges.

This is what he had to say about the photo:

"Why I chose this: This photo, titled “The Black Hole” works for me on several levels. Without knowing what the photo is of, it does distinctly remind me of the computer graphics visualisations of black holes that I have watched on many documentaries. This appeals to my interest in astronomy. The soft, slightly blurred circular lines of colour draw the eye right into the photo, as does the underexposed exposed background. When one reads the description and lean that the subject is simply a spot lit mirror ball, one is impressed from where the complex yet subtle image came from.

Reading further into the description and learning of Chrissy’s state of mind when taking the photo opens up a whole new level of appreciation for the photo, as it offers a glimpse into a world of drug and pain affected perceptions." Neil Creek

I tried really hard to do this project from my bed while laid up .. its the best I could come up with at the time considering the strong effects of pain killers.

I put my disco light on one night after taking my medication and this is what I came up with trying to use the manual settings on my new Canon. I’m still working it all out and hope I am close to what was required for the assignment.

I've spent many hours now studying my new Canon Rebel XTi instruction manual for this project with Neil Creek.

I was 2 days overdue .. but I submitted it anyway, just to let Neil know I was still around and following his tutorials and challenges which I have found to be a great way to learn photography.



The above shot depicts the pain in my back at the time of taking it. Pain relief was felt when I saw the result of the photo. I personally love it and if you look really close you can see me in the centre of it taking the photo.
Camera: Canon EOS 400D Digital
Exposure: 2.5 sec (5/2)
Aperture: f/5.6
Focal Length: 53 mm
ISO Speed: 100
Exposure Bias: 0/3 EV
Flash: Flash did not fire


I love the effect I have created here with a slower shutter speed. I'm still fiddling around with all the manual settings on my new camera.

The little light worms down the bottom of the photo are cute too ... looks like they are on a mission. ............ or maybe I've had way too much medication .. ☺

I haven't done many adjustments to this photo .. a tad saturation, a crop and a 1% rotation.

Camera: Canon EOS 400D Digital
Exposure: 1 sec (1)
Aperture: f/5.6
Focal Length: 55 mm
ISO Speed: 100
Exposure Bias: 0 EV
Flash: Flash did not fire

No comments: